Thursday, December 29, 2011

What to do with leftovers

For obvious reasons I often find myself with left over cupcakes, cake or cake tops/scraps and frosting.  Hazards of the hobby.  I have a really hard time wasting food, so I like to "repurpose it."  I'm not really sure if it counts taking food and tweaking it as repurposing it, but you catch my drift.

I really like to do this after I make a cake for someone.  You see I spend all this time making our house smell great and building this yummy looking creation, just to cart it out the door and give it to someone else.  This can be super disappointing to my kids, so here's my solution.  I take the cake scraps from carving/leveling the cakes, gring them up add some spoonfuls of leftover frosting and turn them into cake balls. These can be made in no time and really with no extra ingredients other than the chocolate I dip them in and the sprinkles I let the kids dump on top.

Leftovers are used up, kids get a goodie and we can spend time decorating them together.  This is a definite Win-Win in our house.

Cake balls are great in a cute baggie or container to give as a quick gift and they are easily dressed up in any color combination for any event or holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails