Sunday, April 10, 2011

Baking Basics

Unless otherwise noted, when baking (this does NOT count for yeast breads)...
1.  Cream together butter (fat) and sugar
2.  Mix in eggs
3.  Add in wet ingredients
4.  Finally sift together dry ingredients and add them to the wet mixture.

*For cakes from scratch alternate the wet and dry... for example a chocolate cake will have the sifted dry ingredients and will likely call for a cup of boiling water - start by adding a little of the dry mixture then add about half the water, then the dry mixture, the rest of the water and then end with the dry mixture - mixing between each addition.

2 comments:

  1. So, does sifting really make a difference? I'm lazy...when it it MOST important? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sift when making cakes or when I want something fluffy. When I'm hurrying I dump the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together to mix and add air.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails